Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have a lot of brand-new methods and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the chance to minimize or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free way to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by expensive advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser center. Discover who will look at these guys in fact do your treatment, then ask about that physician's certifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Select a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor doesn't understand can hurt you.
4. Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your medical professional will not inform like it you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount parachute.
Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. Go in other places. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the vision of millions of people around the world.